Designing a sustainable future
"Let us be good stewards of the Earth we inherited. All of us have to share the Earth's fragile ecosystems and precious resources, and each of us has a role to play in preserving them. If we are to go on living together on this earth, we must all be responsible for it" - Kofi Annan
With attitudes, beliefs and actions so often shaped by the built environment around us, we feel a great responsibility as architects, landscape architects and designers to create spaces that foster respect for the environment and facilitate new ways of thinking and living.
This commitment to designing a sustainable future is a core part of Guymer Bailey’s culture, and green initiatives are inherent in our everyday practices, research and design. Dedicated to going beyond the standard requirements, we actively research and monitor the evolution of Ecologically Sustainable Design (ESD) to stay at the forefront of design initiatives and satisfy the changing needs of our clients. As part of our service offering, we have staff trained in Green Star and work collaboratively with specialist ESD consultants.
Across our architecture, landscape and interior design services we employ a range of initiatives to increase the sustainability of our projects. Placing a strong emphasis on protecting and improving the natural environment each of our projects we:
- Link the natural and built environments through integrated architecture, landscape architecture and interior design to celebrate the Australian landscape and our love of the outdoors
- Seek to increase green spaces and improve site vegetation
- Protect existing environmental features, ecosystems and fauna habitat present on the site and in neighbouring areas
- Apply green infrastructure and water sensitive design initiatives to improve the environmental performance of the design, supporting infrastructure and surrounding environment
Decreasing operational costs and minimising environmental impact are significant considerations to our designs. Committed to achieving a low environmental footprint through the design, construction and ongoing maintenance of projects we look to:
- Utilise natural light and ventilation to minimise energy consumption
- Design using locally available, low energy embodied and sustainable construction materials where possible
- Apply the criteria of efficient maintenance and system upgrades to design and material selection
- Capture water, treat black water, and generate power to produce significant savings and environmental benefits
We also consider the future requirements of our clients and the impact of climate change, providing flexible spaces and robust design solutions that allow for projected increases in extreme weather events.
Knowing education is the key to changing attitudes and actions, we devote significant time to making sustainable features and their benefits visible to our clients, their team and the public to encourage a culture of sustainability in the wider community.
To find out more about our sustainable approach to design, contact us today on 07 3870 9700 (Brisbane) or 03 8547 5000 (Melbourne).
To view our studio Environmental Policy.