ROB WADDELL | PRINCIPAL LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT
“I’ve always loved spending time in the outdoors and admiring the colours and forms of nature. There is something quite cathartic about it. It is these experiences and travelling to many different landscapes across Australia, that inspire me to create beautiful outdoor spaces where people can have moments of enjoyment, escape, solace, connection and contemplation. While I love every aspect of the design process, nothing is more satisfying than completing a project and seeing people use and enjoy it.”
As the Principal Landscape Architect at Guymer Bailey, Rob has more than a decade’s experience in designing for education, community, residential, commercial, correctional, judicial, resort, leisure, aged care and masterplanning projects.
With a keen interest in exploring the relationship between natural and built environments, Rob develops high-quality design outcomes that improve functionality and reduce ongoing costs through innovative and sustainable landscape design.
1. What is your favourite food? French food
2. Who is your favourite Architect / Designer? Antoni Gaudi
3. What professional skill do you most admire in someone? Creativity
4. What are you most afraid of? Lightning
5. What’s your favourite building and/or landscape design? Sagrada Familia and the Hungarian Parliament building in Budapest
6. What place is on your bucket list to travel to? Scottish Highlands, Iceland, Scandanavia
7. If you weren’t an Architect / L. Architect or Interior designer, what would you be? A Sommelier or golf and wine tour operator
8. What is your hobby? Golf as much as possible
9. What is your ‘spirit animal’? Cocker Spaniel
10. If you could only keep 5 possessions what would they be? My Pug, Golf Clubs, My wedding ring, a pencil, my phone & charger
11. What is your most valuable professional quality? Critical thinking & problem solving
12. What does a perfect day look like to you? The view while standing on the 1st Tee at Royal St Andrews Old Course